Thanks for letting a sister roll...

Keep it pimpin'

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Sigh.

Could have been worse, could have been better. Better as in 10 of the last 11 years not being characterized by increasing incompetence and indifference to the success of the franchise, ending in one of the city's best and most beloved athletes ever being run out of town. It's just inconceivable that the Iverson era is really over. And by the way, he did not actually demand a trade. Being an Iverson/Sixers fan is probably one of the most outwardly identifiable aspects of my personality. Iverson is what really got me committed to sports. He influenced me going to Georgetown. What am I supposed to do with myself now?

Anyway, everything I could say has basically been summed up here and here and here, but as a farewell, here are my favorite Iverson moments.


  • the unbelievable 2001 finals, the 3 most important games of which I missed being in London. But I still came home and went right to watch the tape of Game 1, even thought I knew the result, even though chances were slim by the time I got back. The Tyronne Lue step over might be the best statement in sports ever. (Just recently watching the game on ESPN classic, again knowing what would happen, I couldn't help from cheering and celebrating with each point.) I don't think the city of Philadelphia was ever that united. Even with the Eagles in the Super Bowl, that was something almost expected, but the draw of these Sixers led by the ultimate underdog was irresistable. Driving home from NJ the night after the Game 5 loss, dejected and distracted I got pulled over, but the cop gave one look at my multiple Sixer flags, WIP playing, and my best puppy dog eyes and said "we've had a bad night" and let me go.
  • Leading up to those finals, Game 5 at the Wachov, box seats. 54 points in a victory against Toronto
  • Seeing things up close from courtside seats against the Clippers
  • Innumerable moments from my season-ticket holding 2003-04 season, including Iverson's first buzzer beater/game winner ever against the Pacers and the game winning steal and shot against the Wizards. Unless you've experienced it, you can't imagine the energy and excitement of Iverson doing his hand-to-ear battle cry and jumping into the fans courtside. Thanks for the memories Allen. I'm off to buy my Nuggets jersey and set up League Pass.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:46 AM, Blogger Jared said…

    We lived through all the up and downs already we'll stumble through the nuggets stage together.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home